Brown Alumni Library Online
Alumni Borrowing Cards
The library also offers borrowing privileges to Brown alumni.
Access online journals, newspapers, and the RefWorks organizing tool through the Brown alumni website. Learn more below, or log in now! (Login help for new users and for username/password issues is available from the login page.)
Scholarly research, business publications, and news archives
The Library has contracted with EBSCO Inc. and JSTOR to give alumni access to four distinct resource collections for a two-year pilot period:
- Academic Search Alumni Edition includes over 3,000 full text scholarly journals, magazines and other resources. See included titles.
- Business Source Alumni Edition offers access to more than 1,500 business journals and magazines. See included titles.
- Newspaper Source Alumni Edition puts nearly 400 local, national and international news sources at your fingertips. See included titles.
- JSTOR Alumni Access provides full access to the same set of archive collection content available to current students and faculty.
Over five thousand additional titles are indexed and abstracted in these collections.
Manage your sources with RefWorks
RefWorks is a web-based bibliography and citation management tool that allows you to manage research results with greater ease. If you already have a RefWorks account with Brown and your account has been active in the last two years, you may log in with your login/password. You don’t need to create a new account, but you DO need to change your type from “student” to “alumni”. This can be accomplished by logging in and following these instructions:
1. Click on “Update Profile”.
2. Go down to “Type of User” and change your type to “Alumni”.
If you don’t already have an account, log in using the “Log in Now” button above, then register for a Brown alumni RefWorks account to create your personal database of citations by importing records (from library catalogs or from databases such as the alumni editions of Academic Search, Business Source and Newspaper Source) or by entering information manually. Once your sources are in RefWorks, you can use them to:
- generate a formatted bibliography in seconds in over 1,000 styles including
APA, MLA, and the Chicago Manual of Style
- automatically insert references into documents composed in Microsoft Word
- share bibliographies with colleagues
- access your data from anywhere
Brown alumni may make use of these licensed resources solely for their own personal research/ educational use. Such access should not act as a substitute for a user's business or employer obtaining access to the licensed resources. Misuse of the materials violates University policy. Furthermore, systematic downloading of large numbers of articles or other misuse of these materials violates the terms of the University’s license agreement, and could result in termination of the license and loss of the use of this material by the entire Brown community, in addition to any penalties imposed by the licensor. We appreciate your sensitivity and adherence to these terms.